Welcome! I really enjoy exchanging information with people and love that this blog helps with that. I consider much of my research as a work in progress, so please let me know if you have conflicting information. Some of the surnames I'm researching:

Many old Cape families including Kelley, Eldredge/idge, Howes, Baker, Mayo, Bangs, Snow, Chase, Ryder/Rider, Freeman, Cole, Sears, Wixon, Nickerson.
Many old Plymouth County families including Washburn, Bumpus, Lucas, Cobb, Benson.
Johnson (England to MA)
Corey (Correia?) (Azores to MA)
Booth, Jones, Taylor, Heatherington (N. Ireland to Quebec)
O'Connor (Ireland to MA)
My male Mayflower ancestors (only first two have been submitted/approved by the Mayflower Society):
Francis Cooke, William Brewster, George Soule, Isaac Allerton, John Billington, Richard Warren, Peter Browne, Francis Eaton, Samuel Fuller, James Chilton, John Tilley, Stephen Hopkins, and John Howland.
Female Mayflower ancestors: Mary Norris Allerton, Eleanor Billington, Mary Brewster, Mrs. James Chilton, Sarah Eaton, and Joan Hurst Tilley.
Child Mayflower ancestors: Giles Hopkins, (possibly) Constance Hopkins, Mary Allerton, Francis Billington, Love Brewster, Mary Chilton, Samuel Eaton, and Elizabeth Tilley.

Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Ancestors from Wareham, Plymouth Co., Mass.

This post is part of an ongoing project of organizing my direct ancestors by the towns in New England where they lived. I love learning about these towns. Please add a comment about your family from these towns or your favorite resources for this area. Much of the genealogical information is a work in progress! I have blogged about many of the ancestors listed, but some I don't know enough about yet to write a sketch of their lives.




Jonathan Bumpus, b. ca 1769, m. Martha Chubbuck, born and died Wareham. He died there 5 Feb 1847. His wife’s parents unknown to me. Their son Rowland is my 4th great-grandfather and he stayed in Wareham except for a time in California during the Gold Rush. I descend through Rowland’s daughter Mary who married Seth Washburn and moved to Plymouth.
Martha Chubbuck was born Wareham 29 Feb 1764, but whose parents I have not discovered.  Which of course drives me crazy! She married Jonathan Bumpus and they raised their family in Wareham. She died there 5 April 1845. 

David Pierce born Middleborough, Plymouth County 22 June 1773 to Jesse and Ruth (Perkins) Pierce. He married Desire Nye 8 Oct 1795 at Wareham (daughter of Jabez and Mary (Fuller) Nye. I descend through David and Desire’s daughter Lucy Nye Pierce who married Rowland Bumpus 1825 at Wareham. Lucy married second Brownell Tripp in 1861 at Acushnet, Bristol County and third Josiah Burnham at Acushnet in 1880. Lucy died at Acushnet 29 June 1896.
 



One of my favorite Wareham resources is Glimpses of Early Wareham, by Daisy Washburn Lovell, Wareham Historical Society, 1970.

1 comment:

I'm now moderating comments on this blog. My apologies for any ensuing delays, but the large number of "spam" comments have made this necessary. ~Chris