Welcome! I really enjoy exchanging information with people and love that this blog helps with that. I consider much of my research as a work in progress, so please let me know if you have conflicting information. Some of the surnames I'm researching:

Many old Cape families including Kelley, Eldredge/idge, Howes, Baker, Mayo, Bangs, Snow, Chase, Ryder/Rider, Freeman, Cole, Sears, Wixon, Nickerson.
Many old Plymouth County families including Washburn, Bumpus, Lucas, Cobb, Benson.
Johnson (England to MA)
Corey (Correia?) (Azores to MA)
Booth, Jones, Taylor, Heatherington (N. Ireland to Quebec)
O'Connor (Ireland to MA)
My male Mayflower ancestors (only first two have been submitted/approved by the Mayflower Society):
Francis Cooke, William Brewster, George Soule, Isaac Allerton, John Billington, Richard Warren, Peter Browne, Francis Eaton, Samuel Fuller, James Chilton, John Tilley, Stephen Hopkins, and John Howland.
Female Mayflower ancestors: Mary Norris Allerton, Eleanor Billington, Mary Brewster, Mrs. James Chilton, Sarah Eaton, and Joan Hurst Tilley.
Child Mayflower ancestors: Giles Hopkins, (possibly) Constance Hopkins, Mary Allerton, Francis Billington, Love Brewster, Mary Chilton, Samuel Eaton, and Elizabeth Tilley.

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Ancestors from Martha’s Vineyard, Dukes Co., Mass.

This post is part of an ongoing project of organizing my direct ancestors by the towns in New England where they lived. I love learning about the towns in which they lived. Please add a comment about your family from these towns or your favorite resources for this area. Much of the genealogical information is a work in progress! I have blogged about many of the ancestors listed, but some I don't know enough about yet to write a sketch of their lives.


John Butler, b. ca Dec 1624, died Edgartown in 1658. Married Mary Lynde. He was the son of Nicholas Butler who may have also lived at Edgartown; need to do more research. I descend through their son John Butler  born 1651 who married Priscilla Norton and died Edgartown 1738. I then descend through their daughter Priscilla who married Thomas Snow and moved to Harwich.
John Marchant, he was an early resident of Martha’s Vineyard, also in Newport RI in 1638, Braintree in 1638, Watertown in 1642, Yarmouth 1648. He married Sarah ____, prob. died before 1670. I descend through son John who married ____, died before 1693 prob at Edgartown. Then through his son Abishai who was born 1651 at Yarmouth/Dennis, m. Mary Taylor, died before Feb 1718 prob at Yarmouth. Then through their daughter Hannah Marchant b about 1677 at Yarmouth/Dennis and married Matthew Pease who was born Edgartown.
Nicholas Norton, born 1610 Wells, Somerset, England, son of Nicholas and Joan Norton, m. Elizabeth ___ of Weymouth Mass, died 1690 Edgartown. I descend through their daughter Priscilla b. Edgartown about 1655, m. John Butler about 1671.
John Pease early settler of Martha’s Vineyard, born about 1608 in England, married Mary ___ and Lucy Weston (don’t know anything about her yet), died after Sept 1677. I descend through John and Lucy’s son James born 1637, m. Elizabeth Norton (b. about 1645 dau of Nicholas Norton) and Abigail Travis, died 1719 prob Edgartown. I then descend through James and Elizabeth’s dau Martha Pease born about 1669, m. Joseph Atkins at Edgartown about 1709. 

I've found Charles Edward Banks' multi-volume History of Martha's Vineyard very helpful in my limited Martha's Vineyard research. 

1 comment:

I'm now moderating comments on this blog. My apologies for any ensuing delays, but the large number of "spam" comments have made this necessary. ~Chris