Welcome! I really enjoy exchanging information with people and love that this blog helps with that. I consider much of my research as a work in progress, so please let me know if you have conflicting information. Some of the surnames I'm researching:

Many old Cape families including Kelley, Eldredge/idge, Howes, Baker, Mayo, Bangs, Snow, Chase, Ryder/Rider, Freeman, Cole, Sears, Wixon, Nickerson.
Many old Plymouth County families including Washburn, Bumpus, Lucas, Cobb, Benson.
Johnson (England to MA)
Corey (Correia?) (Azores to MA)
Booth, Jones, Taylor, Heatherington (N. Ireland to Quebec)
O'Connor (Ireland to MA)
My male Mayflower ancestors (only first two have been submitted/approved by the Mayflower Society):
Francis Cooke, William Brewster, George Soule, Isaac Allerton, John Billington, Richard Warren, Peter Browne, Francis Eaton, Samuel Fuller, James Chilton, John Tilley, Stephen Hopkins, and John Howland.
Female Mayflower ancestors: Mary Norris Allerton, Eleanor Billington, Mary Brewster, Mrs. James Chilton, Sarah Eaton, and Joan Hurst Tilley.
Child Mayflower ancestors: Giles Hopkins, (possibly) Constance Hopkins, Mary Allerton, Francis Billington, Love Brewster, Mary Chilton, Samuel Eaton, and Elizabeth Tilley.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

David Kelley born 1630s and Jane Powell of Yarmouth (now Dennis) MA


 No one knows with certainty how David O’Killia/O’Kelley (the surname Kelley was spelled fourteen different ways in the Yarmouth Vital Records) ended up in Plymouth Colony in the 1600s. Most of the colonists were of English descent, so where’d the Irish guy come from? It was so unusual for someone to be from Ireland that he was sometimes called “David the Irishman” in records.

It is possible he was a prisoner of war by the English and sold in America as an indentured servant. England's subjugation of Ireland, which occurred 1641-1654, caused hardships among the Irish and many prisoners of war, orphans and the destitute were seized by English authorities and sold as indentured servants. One 1661 entry in Plymouth Colony Records mentions William Hifreny, an Irishman and servant who had been "stolen from his own country."

David was first an indentured servant for John Darby, then Edward Sturgis, both of Yarmouth. Servants were not always domestic help—they could be manual laborers, tradesmen, mariners, mechanics, husbandmen, and teachers. They were indentured for a period of time, usually 3 to 10 years, in exchange for passage to America. His service expired about 1657 when he took the freemen's oath at Yarmouth, so he was probably born 1630-1636.  

On 4 Oct 1655 David is recorded in Plymouth Colony Records as David Ogillior. On this date Jane Powell of Sandwich is charged with fornication: "And att this Court, Jane Powell, servant to William Swift, of Sandwidge, appeered, haveing been psented for fornication, whoe, being examined, saith that it was committed with one David Ogillior, an Irish man, servant to Edward Sturgis; shee saith shee was alured therunto by him goeing for water one evening, hoping to have married him, beeing shee was in a sadd and miserable condition by hard service, wanting clothes and living discontentedly; and expressing great sorrow for her evell, shee was cleared for the psent, and ordered to goe home againe."

Burt Derick wrote in Gaelic Love on Cape Cod: David, the Irishman, and Jane, the Welsh Maid, Dennis Historical Society Newsletter, Feb/March 2008, that David and Jane’s story is one of loneliness and love. The Separatists realized they needed to bring in willing workers, which was easy given the strife in Great Britain from wars, ravages of plague and religious persecution. Nearly all were young and unmarried, at the bottom of the social class.

David and Jane were poor bondservants, in their teens, forced to endure great hardship. Jane was likely originally from Wales. It is possible, but unlikely, that she is related to the Powells of Boston as William Swift Sr. lived there. William Swift Jr. resided on the present Standish Road in North Sagamore, now the town of Bourne, and owned Jane's indenture. She would have had a busy time caring for Swift's 10 children. The distance between Swift and Sturgis' homes is 24 miles, quite a distance in those days. Perhaps they met on the same ship from England to America.

David and Jane were poor, lonely, scared, moving to an uncertain future and they were Gaelic, sharing a common language others on the ship may not have had. They would have been immediately separated and endured a hard life, as Jane's plea in court shows. Many of the colonists were religious fanatics, ruling with an iron hand, punishing people for minor infractions. Somehow, in a time when roads were less than cartways and transportation was slow, David found Jane. Perhaps he had an errand to do for his master, attending the only gristmill in the area to get the corn ground to flour. It is unlikely it was a chance encounter--not a single encounter in the woods of Sagamore, but one of many. There was certainly a background relationship between these people that resulted in the encounter for which they were charged. The fornication charge likely means she was pregnant, rather than caught in the act.

Despite Jane's guilt, the magistrates could not bring themselves to levy the typical punishment of public whipping and they sent her home. They also didn't charge David with seducing the girl. They leave the two to work out the problem. It's also remarkable the Clerk took time to record so many details of Jane's predicament

After securing freedom for both of them, David did the honorable thing and married Jane and they moved to a 100 acre farm that was eventually named Kelley's Point, at the head of Bass River on the banks of what is today called Kelley’s Bay. The area is now called Mayfair in current day South Dennis, Massachusetts.
Modern day map of the area

David's family lived there over 40 years, raising a family of five boys and two girls: Sarah b. ca 1660, Joseph b. ca 1662, Jeremiah b. ca 1664, John b. ca 1667, David was b. ca 1670, Elizabeth b ca 1672, Benjamin b. ca 1675. All were mentioned in David’s will.

Sarah died in 1715 in Yarmouth, unmarried. No records are found for Joseph--he is mentioned in his father’s 1697 will but not in the 1715 settlement of Sarah’s estate. Jeremiah married Sarah (Chase?), had nine children, was a large landholder in West Dennis and died in 1728. John married Bersua Lewis, had at least one child and died in Yarmouth in 1693. David married Anna Bills, had five children and died Monmouth Co., New Jersey before 1737. Elizabeth married Silas Sears as his second wife and died after 1732 probably in Yarmouth. Benjamin married Mary Lombard and they had a son Reuben. He served in Queen Anne’s War on the sloop Coronation and deserted his wife and son and later married Hopestill Smith. He may have died at Swansea, MA.

I descend through David and Jane’s son Jeremiah.  

In the 1960s the old cellar and a pit, as well as a few pear trees, remained at the site of David's homestead.

The first records of Friends' (Quaker) meetings held in Yarmouth begin in 1681. The simple meeting place in what is now Dennis was built about 1714 near the Kelley homestead, on land owned by David. It stood near the old cemetery, which has been marked with a plaque by the Dennis Historical Commission. The building was used until 1809 when a new meeting house was built across Bass River in South Yarmouth.

The Kelley family was the third Quaker family in the area, joining John Wing and John Dillingham, whom I also descend from. Apparently Quakers in the area weren’t persecuted as they were in other parts of Massachusetts.

The Kelley offspring did not all remain around the bay that bears their name. Early in the settlement of West Dennis they were busy in marine and commercial enterprises. The family also held large tracts of land in Dennisport. Though many, like Capt. Elihu Kelley, were mariners, some were farmers, some traders and some millers. The Kelley family plied the ferry between West Dennis and South Yarmouth. Cyrenius Kelley was a blacksmith. Dr. Horatio S. Kelley compounded a powder to cure headaches. Anthony Kelley built one of the huge wharves at Dennisport. (March 1980 Dennis Historical Society Newsletter.)

David’s will was dated 10 Feb 1696/7, probated 19 July 1697. He signed his will by mark, witnessed by Thomas Folland, William Baker, Sen (his mark) and Isaac Perse (his mark): "To All people to whom these presents shall com, Know yee that I David Okillia of yarmouth in ye county of Barnstable in ye province of ye Massachusetts Bay in New England, beeing at this time weak in Body, but of a disposing mind and memory do this tenth day of february, 1696:7 make and ordain this my last will and testament in manner and forms following...viz that first of all that all my debts which in Right and contience are due from me to any person whatsover be in convenient time after my decease paid out of my Estate   It(em) I give and bequeath to my son  Jeremiah okillia two shillings   It I do give unto my son  Joseph okillia two shillings   It I do give unto my son David okillia two shillings    It I give unto my Grand child John okillia two shillings   It I do give unto my Daughter Elizabeth okillia my Little Chest and my great Iron kittle after my wifes Decease    It I do give unto my Daughter Sarah okillia my Box and my two Lesser Iron kittils after my wifes Decease    It I do give unto my son Benjamin okillia my gun and my sourd and my Great Chest after my Decease   It I do give unto my Loving wife Jane and to my son Benjamin okillia my hors and my two oxene my cow and heifer and all my sheep and swine equally between them It I do give unto my Loving wife Jane my Bed and Beding and Bedstead and Curtains and all ye moveables that are not above mentioned   It I do give unto my son Bemjamin okillia my now Dwelling house and all my Lands and meadow with all ye privileges belonging there unto After my wifs decease (or after her marriage if that my wife marry againe) all plow Irons Chains, and all Iron Tools that are left, And I do make and appoint my Loving wife Jane okillia to be my Sole Executrix to perform this my Last will and Testament acccording to ye truee meaning and Intent hereof In witness whereof I ye said David okillia Senr have herunto sett my hand and seal ye date above said." (Barnstable Co. Probabate, 2:56.)

His inventory was taken 16 July 1697 included house, meadow, farm animals and equipment, spinning wheel, pewter, gun, sword, looking glass. No books or upscale items like silver are listed.

David left his wife Jane with a comfortable estate at the time of 90 pounds. Their humble and difficult beginnings must have been proud of the life they made for themselves and their standing in the community.

David died in 1697 and Jane in 1711 and are likely buried in old Quaker burying ground in Dennis, but there are very few gravestones there as the early Quakers didn’t believe in that sort of adornment.
Friends Cemetery, Mayfair area of Dennis, MA

Sources:
R. Dudley Kelley, Descendants of David O'Killea of Yarmouth published in NEGHR Vol 151 April and July 1997

 Nancy Thacher Reid, Dennis, Cape Cod from Firstcomers to Newcomers, 1639 – 1993, 1996

Marion Vuilleumier, Yarmouth Massachusetts:  A History 1639 - 1989.  Yarmouth Port, MA:  The Historical Society of Old Yarmouth, 1989

52 comments:

  1. I have been trying to find out why my ancestor Sylvanus O'Killey [Kelley] who was married to Temperance unknown always says he was married to Hannah Thacher.My Sylvanus father was Eleazer Kelley and mother Hannah Baker. My records show Sylvanus born 29 Oct.1764 and died in Bancroft,Maine 1849. My great grand parents were Jeremiah Kelley and Sarah Ellis. Hannah Thachers Silvanus Kelley was born 1767 and died at sea may 1810.The Randell book I paid $100.00 has no mention of my family from Weston,Maine .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello: I'd imagine it's because of Eunice Kelley Randall's work, which I'm sure has some mistakes, but is the most extensive work on the early Kelley's I've seen.

    His marriage to Hannah Thacher is based on Yarmouth Vital Records: Marriage intentions with Hannah Thacher 23 Dec 1790, Yarmouth VR p 303. Married 3 Feb 1791 by Revd. Timothy Alden, Yarmouth VR p 304. Do you know who the parents were of Silvanus born 1767?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Chris:I have quite a bit of information but I put it all away for Christmas[I have worked on it for almost 5 years]I beleive that the Silvanus Kelley married to Hannah Thacher was born 1767 in Yarmouth Barnstable Ma. This Silvanus in deed was married Feb 3,1791. He, died in may at sea in 1810.Father David Kelley born on April 18,1745 and motherThankful Crowell born in 1739. They had sons which one was Thacher Kelley Ebenzer,Isaiah and a Silvanus.After Christmas I will be getting started again and will give you more information.
    Did you notice In Eunice Keely Randall's There was not much of anything about Sylvanus Kelley ?
    He did have sons also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regarding my ancestor Sylvanus Kelley {O'Killey]
    Born Oct. 29,1764 died Nov.27,1849.Son of Eleazer O'Killey and Hannah Baker in Dennis,Ma. and died in Bancroft,Aroostook, Maine.His wife was Temperance [unknown] They had two children
    Shubeal Kelley born 1797, Hyannis died Sept. 19, 1862 In Bancroft, Aroostook, Maine and my direct line Jeremiah Kelley born in Fairfield, Somerset,Maine .He was born 1807 and died 1879 at Weston,Aroostook,maine. He was married to Sarah Ellis. My great great grand father was William Kelley his son. Anyone reading this and have relatives in that line please leave me a message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandfather, Donald Kelley’s father was George Lorenzo Kelley who was Shubial’s son

      Delete
  5. From The American ancestors and descendants of Seth Kelly, 1762-1850, of Blackstone, Mass.

    David, according to legend, came to America with his parents who died during the crossing. The captain robbed him, and left him (only 10 or 12 years old) in Yarmouth about 1637.



    According to the references in New England Irish Pioneers, family tradition says:

    When a mere boy in Ireland, David OKelley and other youths were captured and placed on board a vessel for transportation to Virginia, but David was put ashore on Cape Cod by the heartless captain. The date is unknown but circumstances indicate it was about the year 1652. He was first indentured as a servant to John Darby of Yarmouth...The unexpired indenture seems to have been transferred to Edward Sturges...That period of service expired in or before 1657...because in that year David OKillia, Irishman, was recorded in a list of Yarmouth men who tooke the oath of fidelitie, and in the same year he was admitted inhabitant at Yarmouth, with the right to vote in town affairs...

    A poem ~ http://o.mfcreative.com/f1/file04/objects/f/e/9/4fe92ddf-2375-481e-b3ad-661a1e36db15-0.jpg

    Stories collected from ancestry.com

    I've emailed you about the photos here.

    ~Seraphine Kelley, 11th generation

    ReplyDelete
  6. oops the poem link is incomplete, i'll try to find the full one

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Seraphine, for posting the information on David that you found. I will email you privately. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Chris,
    I wrote to you about my ancestor Sylvanus Kelley who was the son of Eleazer O'Killey and Hannah Baker.which in E.K. Randall book states he was married to Hannah Thacher.I finally have the information and proof that was not so. Sylvanus Kelley was Married to Temperance Unknown and my line is this. David[1] Jeremiah [2] Eleazer [3] Eleazer [4] Sylvanus [5]and my gr gr gr grandfather Jeremiah Kelley [6] I have been searching for so long and was so dissapointed that there was no mention of my family. My gran father was born in Dennis,Ma. Oct. 29, 1764 and died in Bancroft,Ma. Sep. 19,1862. I have a large family of Kelleys burried in Maine. Now, for the proof That Hannah Thacher was in deed married to a Silvanus O'Killey[Kelley] I found birth record that states he was born Oct. 6,1767 at Yarmouth,Ma.his parents father David O'Killey or Killey and Thankful Crowell. Also, in this Historical Record is the marriage on 03, feb. 1791
    with all the film numbers and batch numbers. A funny side note to all this was a family tree of the Crowells I was reading in one section it said they don't know who they were but Kennebec, Maine had cousins. I wonder if I should put some of my proof together and send it to The Historical Society in Barnstable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for solving this mystery! I am also in your line through Jeremiah. My great great great grandfather was Jeremiah's son, Benjamin. I went with my father, brother and nephew to the gravesites of Sylvanus, Jeremiah and Benjamin last week in Maine.

      Delete
  9. This is really a long shot, but I've run out of other places to look! I'm searching for information about the Farris family of Yarmouth, Mass. The last Farris I've found is Samuel Farris,1740-1825. The Kelley family is mentioned in a book by Elisha Lawrence Jenkins on the Old Quaker village. Do you have any info. on Farris's marrying Kelleys? I found a reference to a Thomas Farris marrying a Hannah Kelley, but I don't remember where I saw that reference...
    Thanks for any info you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello: I don't have any Kelley's marrying Farris's in my database. I have a few Farris folks, but not much info on them as they aren't in my line.
      Abigail who married Edmund Chase of Harwich in 1762; Elizabeth who married Timothy Nickerson and had children in 1770s; Rosetta b. about 1812 who married Francis Small; Samuel who married Elizabeth Burgess in Yarmouth in 1761; Samuel b. 1768 in Yarmouth who m. Roxanna Nickerson. Have you tried the spelling Ferris as well?

      Delete
  10. Hi Chris,
    I've been researching my line of Cunninghams, Bakers, Crowells, Twining. I am curious about Sarah O'Kellia /Okillia who I have as my 8th great grandmother. I have her married to John Crowell (1670-1715). You have her as never married, yet I find her in the Crowell family history married to John. What do you think?
    I let my ancestry subscription lapse so I cannot search documents.
    I'm very thankful for your blog here as you have touched upon my ancestors a few times! Now I am trying to untangle my Crowells & Bakers!
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom, I have your Sarah O'Killia as the daughter of David O'Killia. She was born circa 1675, married John Crowell in 1689 and died 24 July 1715. I do not have any further info on her as I have been studying her brother Jeremiah's line.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Quoted from E.K Randall:
      The division of the estate of Sarah O’Killey, Barnstable
      Probate Records, Volume III, page 214, contains the
      following excerpt:
      “Whereas Sarah O’Killey, late of Yarmouth in said
      I County, single woman, died instetate and left some estate
      - . . ”etc., . . . , August 17, 1715. This estate, which included
      “one Indian Girl” valued at £8, was administered
      by her brother Jeremiah2 O’Killey, who made an equal distribution among all Sarah's brothers and sister, with John3
      O'Killey receiving the share of his deceased father, John2.

      Delete
  11. A Dillingham descendant? What is your line? Email me if you wish. Dave Dillingham Wiltshire dwiltsdill@ntlworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi;

    I am a descendant of David O'Killia the Irish Immigrant of Old Yarmouth. He is my 9th great grandfather.

    I recently received my Ancestry DNA results and I am 38 Percent Irish and descend from David O'Killia.

    I descend through Jeremiah to Eleazer Sr, Eleazer Jr married Hannah Baker and they had a daughter named Bathsheba Kelley (Kelly) who married William Ranslow, Sr.

    William Ranslow Sr and Bathsheba Kelley had a son named William Ranslow Jr and his brother is George Washington Ranslow. His death record notes Bathesheba O'Kelley as his mother. They lived in Georgia Township, Vermont.

    William Ranslow, Jr married Sarah English and they had a son named Philo Francis Renslow born in 1830 in Tompkins County, New York.

    Philo Francis Renslow married Rachael Shepherd and they had a daughter named Amanda Renslow who married Edgar Ransom Terpenning.

    Edgar Ransom Terpenning and Amanda Renslow had a daughter named Ida Blanche Terpenning. She married Henry William Stolze. They had a daughter named Ruth H Stolze who married Everett Martin. My maternal grandparents.

    You can clearly see I am a direct bloodline descendant.

    With that being said, would I therefore be descendant from anyone who was a passenger on the Mayflower? If so, who would it be?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Roger, David O'Killia came to America circa 1652, and is not descendant from anyone on the Mayflower. He is descendant from Maine Mor who conquered the northern part of today's Galway and southern part of Roscommon in 357, naming the area Ui Maine (generally pronounced Hymany). His line ruled UiMaine until the 12th century when England began taking over Ireland. In 1002, Tadhg Mor Ua Cellaigh, 36th King of Ui Maine chose O'Kelly as the surname when King Brian Borumha instituted the use of surnames. Therefore all Kelly's today are descendant from the same line. FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  14. not Kelly's from Northern Ireland nope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't think so? My grandfather, born back in 1916 who died before the internet used to talk about how we were descendants of Spaniards that traveled to Ireland. He talk about William "the boy". Wish I could talk to him now. He knew my entire genealogy by heart and had taken my mom to many different cemeteries and would point out who our relatives were going back to the early 1800s. I tend to believe its true.

      Delete
  15. David and Jane are my 9th great grandparents, thanks for all the info

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dennis, Always nice to hear from Kelley descendants! Which of their children do you descent from? Chris

      Delete
  16. Chris, appreciate your dedication and hard work into this. So, have you bothered with Y DNA testing at www.familytreeDNA.com? With that, joined there Project surname, Kelley? I was a love child/adoptee of 1969 and have found my surname Kelley, in the Woburn, MA area, though the 4 generations there come from Ireland of 1860s. My deeper tests take the bloodline to Scotland. I think you and your history would give things a boost there. Wish you continued success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I haven't done DNA testing through that particular one. Best of luck with your research, Chris

      Delete
  17. I am descended from Theron Kelley, b. 1839 in Rumford, Maine. His mother was Jerusha Bristor. I can't find any record of a marriage, but Theron was always Theron Kelley. He lists his father as William or Henry, but I have no other info. My mother told me that Jerusha worked in a tailor shop in Boston and that Mr. Kelley was a salesman from the Cape. If you have any ideas or info I'd love to know about it! Thanks so much. Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, I haven't seen the name Theron in the Cape Kelley's of my family. Sorry can't be of help, Chris

      Delete
  18. This is another long shot, but in my Sewell line from Maine, Samuel Sewell married Hannah Kelley (Kelly?) from the Isles of Shoals. She was born around 1715. Could she have been in this line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caty, Wish I could help but I don't know of your Hannah. Chris

      Delete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. *Stupid autocorrect...David O'Killia aka David Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  21. HI there. My husband and I are planning a trip to Cape Cod to see where David O'Killian lived. He is a direct descendent, question is; do you have a address for the Friends Burying ground where David and Jane may be Buried? Any pertinent historical addresses related to David O'Killian would be appreciated.

    David and Lisa Kelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,
      The burial ground is on Mayfair Road in South Dennis but only has a handful of surviving headstones. David Kelley owned land nearby. I drove by looking for it once, but couldn't find it but maybe you'll have better luck! Dennis Historical Society has a nice collection at the West Dennis Public library. You could also visit the South Yarmouth Quaker meeting house, 58 N Main St. Have a great trip, Chris

      Delete
    2. What are the males in his line? I there is also Kelley family cemetery in Harwich Ma that contains grave stone back to the 1830 to my great grandfather Marshall Kelley. Its tucked away from the road but with modern technology I'm sure a GPS can find it.

      Delete
  22. I am supposedly a descendant of David's thru Jeremiah. Jeremiah had a son Amos who had a son, Manariah, who lived and died in Glocester, RI. I have just run across information that Jeremiah's wife was not Sarah Chase but was Sarah Burgess. Do you have any information about that supposition?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jannie, As far as I know Jeremiah 2 Kelley's wife's maiden name is unknown. I know it's frequently given as Chase but I don't know what the source for that is. Never heard of her as Sarah Burgess. Wish I could be of help, Chris

      Delete
  23. This is really all very fascinating ! I stumbled across this search for information on my David Kelley (DOB May,18 1786 New City, Rockland, New York). I do not know if we are related to any of your Kelley's or not? I guess time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I came to this site after finding out that David & Jane are my 8x GGparents. I decend from Jeremiah's dau. Deliverance. Many Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am a descendant of David O'Killea thru his so John. Do you have any information? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm catching up after realizing Blogger hasn't been notifying me of comments left on my blog. A great source for info on David Kelley/OKillia's descendants is: R. Dudley Kelley, Descendants of David O'Killea of Yarmouth published in NEGHR Vol 151 April and July 1997

      Delete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sarah was most certaily married ;) Tadhg OKelley (1400 - 1441)
    14th great-grandfather
    Maeleachlainn OKelly (1441 - 1511)
    Son of Tadhg OKelley
    Teige Dubh OKelly (1470 - 1513)
    Son of Maeleachlainn OKelly
    Donnchadh Reagh OKelley the gambler (1500 - 1573)
    Son of Teige Dubh OKelly
    Connor na Garroghe O' Kelley (1540 - 1612)
    Son of Donnchadh Reagh OKelley the gambler
    John Mac Teige OKillia (1619 - 1637)
    Son of Connor na Garroghe O' Kelley
    David OKillia (1636 - 1697)
    Son of John Mac Teige OKillia
    David O' Killey (1672 - 1697)
    Son of David OKillia
    Sarah O'Killey (O'Kelley) (Kelley) (1696 - 1768)
    Daughter of David O' Killey
    Downing Cahoon (1738 - 1787)
    Son of Sarah O'Killey (O'Kelley) (Kelley)
    Sylvanus Cahoon (1775 - 1850)
    Son of Downing Cahoon
    Alexander W. Cahoon (1811 - 1897)
    Son of Sylvanus Cahoon
    Olive Lee Cahoon (1857 - 1892)
    Daughter of Alexander W. Cahoon
    Lillian May Cash (1888 - 1983)
    Daughter of Olive Lee Cahoon
    Myrtle Ellen Cash (1909 - 2003)
    Daughter of Lillian May Cash
    Muriel Ellen Baker (1929 - )
    Daughter of Myrtle Ellen Cash
    Glenn S Hallett
    You are the son of Muriel Ellen Baker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Glenn- where did you get this information. I am a direct descendant of David O'Killea and Jane Powell, and this info. fascinates me.

      Delete
    2. Glenn, My apologies for never responding to this; Blogger hasn't been consistently notifying me of comments left here. I'm curious what your source is for David Kelley/OKillia's parents? And that Sarah, daughter of David, married William Cahoon? Thanks!

      Delete
  28. Oops - forgot to identify myself.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Debbie~~Glenn here~~compiled from Ancestry.com~~my tree on same

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am related to John Kelly, born 1739 in Virginia. supposedly son of Edmund Kelly. Do these Kellys connect with David O'Kelly the servant of Massachusetts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phyllis, I don't know if your Kelly's from Virginia connect to the Cape Kelley's. Chris

      Delete
  31. I had thought I was a descendant of David O'Killea, but now I am questioning it. David's son Benjamin had a daughter named Abigail, born about 1714. She is my direct ancestor. I think. I have been finding information that Benjamin left his wife Mary Lombard and ended up marrying Hopestill Smith, becoming a bigamist as he and Mary never divorced. Mary continued to have children, but it is doubtful they were Benjamin's children. Abigail was the second born so it is possible she was Benjamin's daughter, but I am not sure. Any information on this? I would greatly appreciate it! I am worried as I love being a descendant of David and Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am a descendent of David O’ Killea. Thank you for your fantastic blog! I’m going to Ireland in a few months and plan to visit Galway in the area where the Gallagh Castle was located. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, I just sent you an email. Chris

      Delete

I'm now moderating comments on this blog. My apologies for any ensuing delays, but the large number of "spam" comments have made this necessary. ~Chris