Welcome! I really enjoy exchanging information with people and love that this blog helps with that. I consider much of my research as a work in progress, so please let me know if you have conflicting information. Some of the surnames I'm researching:

Many old Cape families including Kelley, Eldredge/idge, Howes, Baker, Mayo, Bangs, Snow, Chase, Ryder/Rider, Freeman, Cole, Sears, Wixon, Nickerson.
Many old Plymouth County families including Washburn, Bumpus, Lucas, Cobb, Benson.
Johnson (England to MA)
Corey (Correia?) (Azores to MA)
Booth, Jones, Taylor, Heatherington (N. Ireland to Quebec)
O'Connor (Ireland to MA)
My male Mayflower ancestors (only first two have been submitted/approved by the Mayflower Society):
Francis Cooke, William Brewster, George Soule, Isaac Allerton, John Billington, Richard Warren, Peter Browne, Francis Eaton, Samuel Fuller, James Chilton, John Tilley, Stephen Hopkins, and John Howland.
Female Mayflower ancestors: Mary Norris Allerton, Eleanor Billington, Mary Brewster, Mrs. James Chilton, Sarah Eaton, and Joan Hurst Tilley.
Child Mayflower ancestors: Giles Hopkins, (possibly) Constance Hopkins, Mary Allerton, Francis Billington, Love Brewster, Mary Chilton, Samuel Eaton, and Elizabeth Tilley.

Sunday, May 31, 2020

William Lumpkin born ca 1604, England and Yarmouth/Dennis, Mass.



William Lumpkin was born about 1604 in England. I have found a good deal of conflicting information on William, so please consider this sketch a work in progress!

I have not found William’s hometown or parents. It seems he emigrated in 1637 from London on the Rose at age 33 with his wife Elizabeth, whose maiden name is unknown, their daughter Ann, and their servant Thomas Howe(s) (whom I also descend from).  His name is Ludken on passenger list, so some difference of opinion on whether this is actually William Lumpkin. At any rate, he is my 10th great-grandfather on my grandmother Milly (Booth) Rollins’ side of the family.

William was one of the first comers to Yarmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts, one of ten men allowed by the 7 Jan 1639 court to “take up freedom at Yarmouth.” He settled in an area that became the town of Dennis. He lived on a brook later called Eldred’s Brook, northwest of Whig and Beach Streets (CCGS “Dennis First Comers” map). He was a locksmith in England and prospered in Yarmouth as a weaver. William was on the 1643 list of Yarmouth men able to bear arms. He served his community as constable, grand juryman, surveyor of highways, and deputy to the Colony Court. In 1667 he was foreman of a coroner’s jury to investigate the death of Nicholas Nickerson’s son who choked on a piece of pumpkin shell (Nicholas is also an ancestor of mine).

from CCGS Bulletin


As with most mere mortals living in Plymouth Colony, William did see a bit of trouble. In 1667, he and Peter Worden (another ancestor of mine) were talking quietly during meeting and were both fined 10 shillings for disturbance of public worship.

William owned a boat with Hugh Tilley and Gabriel Whelden (Gabriel is my ancestor) that they used for fishing. William and Hugh were ordered by the court to pay 15 shillings to Gabriel for his third part of the boat they owned in partnership.

In the 1648 division of land at Yarmouth, William received fourscore acres of upland and 20 acres of meadow.

After the death of his wife Elizabeth, William married Tamisin/Tamesin, maiden name unknown. Some people give her the maiden name Constable but I haven’t seen a source for that. No marriage record is found, but William names Tamasin in his will.

William and Elizabeth had a daughter Ann who married William Eldred/Eldredge. I descend from this couple and wrote about them here..

William and Tamisin had two daughters:

Tamsin who married Samuel Mayo and John Sunderland
Hannah who married John Gray

I’ve also seen a daughter Mary attributed to William, but I’m not sure about this.

William wrote a will dated Yarmouth, 20 July 1668. He mentions being weak but of perfect sense and memory.  He names his “now wife” Tamasin Lumpkin” as sole executrix. She was to have his house, land, cattle and goods during her lifetime. After her decease, half of the estate, both land, cattle, housing and goods to go to daughter Tamasin the wife of John Sunderling, with the caveat that she should pay his grandchild Bethyah Eldred  five pounds when she reaches age 20. The other half of his estate was to go to grandchild William Gray.  William Gray expected to pay five pounds to grandchild Elisha Eldred when he turns 21. Grandchild Elisha Eldred was also to receive his loom and all other equipment for the weaving trade. He appoints beloved friends Mr. Edmond Hawes and John Thacher as “Friends in trust” to see his wishes are carried out.

An inventory of William Lumpkin’s estate was taken 29 January 1670, amounting to over 93 pounds, not including real estate. It included a gold ring, a drinking cup edged with silver, brass candlesticks, 3 Bibles and another book, weaving supplies, a beer barrel, farming supplies, sheep wool, saddle and bridle, a musket, a sword, 3 oxen, six cows, two calves, one horse.

I have read that he died 29 Oct 1671 at Yarmouth, but this is after his inventory was taken.

Sources:`
Charles Swift, History of Old Yarmouth, 1884
Nancy Thacher Reid, Dennis, Cape Cod: From Firstcomers to Newcomers, 1639-1993, 1996
Eugene Stratton, Plymouth Colony, Its History and People, 1986
Cape Cod Genealogical Society Bulletin, Spring 2001, page 8-10


11 comments:

  1. Wow Chris your blog is amazing! I wish I had found it earlier. I have been doing some researching while stuck at home and since I too am a descendant of Stephen Hopkins, Nicholas Snow, William Lumpkin and Tamesin....I'm really enjoying reading your posts and learning sooo much! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your nice comment. I hope you continue to find my blog helpful. And it sounds like we are related in multiple ways! Chris

      Delete
    2. I am a descendant of Thomasine Lumpkin Sunderland...Thank you for the info..It is appreciated..Sharon Kinsella-Finkle clavinthefirst@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Chris. Are you on the Cape? I was raised there and live in Florida now. I descend from William Brewster and William White and maybe others not proven yet. My connection to William Lumpkin is through is daughter Hannah. Have you found a marriage record for William's second marriage? I ask because my information (which I am triple checking) shows that Hannah was born in England. I enjoyed your writing and thank you for taking the time to share it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patti-Ann, I don't but we have a second home in Plymouth. I don't have marriage record, but his will mentions wife Tamasin. If Hannah was born in England, then she would have been the daughter of William with his first wife Elizabeth. I have always seen her as daughter of Tamasin but without a strong source. Because of the lack of records, this family is confusing! Chris

      Delete
  4. What a great site, I am trying to get my stuff together to do something similar. We have William in common - and I am sure a lot more, as all those early settlers intermarried extensively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dee. Those early settlers certainly were a cozy lot!

      Delete
  5. This is wonderful information. I appreciate you sharing with the rest of the world! I am also a descendant from John Howland and the Tilleys. You certainly have a ton of heritage in your line. Blessings! Cindie Vaughan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to comment Cindie!

      Delete
  6. I'm also a descendant of William and Anne. The family tree I have lists Richard Lumpkin of Boxted Essex in England as William Lumpkin's father and Sarah Baker as his mother

    ReplyDelete

I'm now moderating comments on this blog. My apologies for any ensuing delays, but the large number of "spam" comments have made this necessary. ~Chris