Welcome! I really enjoy exchanging information with people and love that this blog helps with that. I consider much of my research as a work in progress, so please let me know if you have conflicting information. Some of the surnames I'm researching:

Many old Cape families including Kelley, Eldredge/idge, Howes, Baker, Mayo, Bangs, Snow, Chase, Ryder/Rider, Freeman, Cole, Sears, Wixon, Nickerson.
Many old Plymouth County families including Washburn, Bumpus, Lucas, Cobb, Benson.
Johnson (England to MA)
Corey (Correia?) (Azores to MA)
Booth, Jones, Taylor, Heatherington (N. Ireland to Quebec)
O'Connor (Ireland to MA)
My male Mayflower ancestors (only first two have been submitted/approved by the Mayflower Society):
Francis Cooke, William Brewster, George Soule, Isaac Allerton, John Billington, Richard Warren, Peter Browne, Francis Eaton, Samuel Fuller, James Chilton, John Tilley, Stephen Hopkins, and John Howland.
Female Mayflower ancestors: Mary Norris Allerton, Eleanor Billington, Mary Brewster, Mrs. James Chilton, Sarah Eaton, and Joan Hurst Tilley.
Child Mayflower ancestors: Giles Hopkins, (possibly) Constance Hopkins, Mary Allerton, Francis Billington, Love Brewster, Mary Chilton, Samuel Eaton, and Elizabeth Tilley.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Ancestors From Barnstable, Barnstable Co., Mass.




This post is part of a new project…organizing my direct ancestors by the towns in New England where they lived. I love learning about these towns and will list my favorite resources. Please add a comment on your family from these towns and your favorite resources as well. Much of the genealogical information is a work in progress! I have blogged about many of the ancestors listed, which you can find by using the search function. 


Henry Atkins, b about 1617 in England, first at Plymouth (on the 1643 Able to Bear Arms List), m. 1st Elizabeth Wells 1647 at Barnstable and Bethia Linnell in 1664 at Eastham (she was baptized 1641, daughter of Robert Linnell and Peninah Howes). Henry died Eastham bef Aug 1700. I descend through Henry and Bethiah’s son Joseph born Eastham 1669, married Martha Pease about 1709 at Edgartown (Martha was born about 1669, daughter of James Pease and Elizabeth Norton), died Eastham 1726. Then through their daughter Anna Atkins b. 1713 at Eastham, m. Paul Sears about 1730 prob at Eastham and died 1783 at Chatham.
John Bryant born ca 1620 England, lived at Barnstable and then Scituate. He married three times: 1st Mary Lewis, dau of George Lewis and Mary Jenkins; 2nd Elizabeth, dau of Rev. William Wetherell and Mary Fisher of Scituate; third Mary Highland, dau of Thomas Highland of Scituate. John Bryant died 1684 in Scituate. I then descend through John and Elizabeth’s son Daniel born 2nd Church Scituate 1659/60. Daniel married Dorothy _____ died 1684. I then descend through Daniel’s dau Dorothy, born Scituate 1692/3 who m. Nathan Nye in Sandwich in 1715 and moved to Sandwich.
Henry Cobb, b ca 1605 possibly Kent, England, died 1679 at Barnstable.  He was a member of Rev. Lothrop’s Church and was first at Scituate. He married 1st Patience Hurst, 2nd Sarah Hinckley. I descend through his son (with Patience) John Cobb who married Martha Nelson and lived in Plymouth (Martha was born Plymouth about 1641, daughter of William Nelson and Martha Ford).
Austin/Augustine Bearse b. 1618 in England, married Mary ___. I descend through their daughter Priscilla b. Barnstable in 1644, married John Hall 1660-61 and moved to Yarmouth.
John Hall, b. ca 1611 Warwickshire, England, married Bethia (Farmer?), 2nd Elizabeth Larned/Learned or possibly Pease, emigrated to Charlestown and then moved to Barnstable and finally ca 1644 Yarmouth/Dennis where he died in 1696. I then descend through his son John Hall who was born Charlestown 1638, m. Priscilla _____ 1660-1661, probably at Yarmouth, died 1710 at Yarmouth. Then descend through Esther Hall born Yarmouth 1672, married John Ryder, died Yarmouth 1709-1718.
Samuel Howes/House b. about June 1610, Eastwell, Kent, m. Ann Hammond about April 1636 (b. about 1619, daughter of William Hammond and Elizabeth Paine of Watertown), died Scituate 1667. He prob came over with Rev Lothrop in 1634, settling Scituate. He was one of the first settlers of Barnstable. Later went to Cambridge, returning to Scituate at some point.  I descend through their daughter Elizabeth Howes b. 1636 Scituate, m. John Sutton at Scituate in 1662, d. after 12 Nov 1691.
Robert Linnell, born about 1584, possibly in Kent, married 1st Peninah Howes in the 1630s probably in London (she was born about 1596 in Egerton, Kent, daughter of John Howes and Alice Lloyd), he migrated first to Scituate and then to Barnstable; was a member of Rev. Lothrop’s church.  He married 2nd Susan ___. I descend through Robert and Peninah’s daughter Bethia, born before 1641 at Barnstable, m. Stephen Hopkins in 1701, died Harwich 1726.
Thomas Lombard, baptized Feb 1581/82 at Dorset, England, m. Joyce ____, migrated in 1630, first lived at Dorchester, then Scituate, then Barnstable. He died in Barnstable 1663-1665. I descend through their son Caleb who married Deliverance Fuller.  I then descend through their daughter Deliverance who married William Nickerson about 1700 and lived at Chatham where she died about 1716. 
Thomas Simmons, born 1600 in England, m. Elizabeth Nash (born England 1609, died 1680 at Scituate), died Boston 1682. Also lived at Scituate. I descend through their son John who was b. Scituate about 1640, m. Martha Shephard about 1668 (she was b ca 1648), died Freetown 1711. I descend through their son Abraham who was born 1679 at Freetown, m. Ann Lee in 1707, d. Freetown in 1749. Then through Mary Simmons who was born Freetown 1723, m. Richard Pierce 1745 at Freetown.  

 
I have my great-grandmother's collection of postcards including this one of Ethan Bearse's house in Barnstable

Favorite Barnstable resources:
Amos Otis, Genealogical Notes of Barnstable Families, being a reprint of the Amos Otis Papers, originally published in the Barnstable Patriot, revised by CF Swift, Volume 1 and 2, Barnstable, MA, The Patriot Press, 1888:

Susan E. Roser, Early Descendants of Henry Cobb of Barnstable, Massachusetts, Friends of the Pilgrim Series, Volume 1, 2008

Sturgis Library in Barnstable has a terrific online database of some Cape newspapers including the Barnstable Patriot: www.sturgislibrary.org.

For Cape Cod/Barnstable County, I very much enjoy reading the Cape Cod Genealogical Society’s Bulletin.

5 comments:

  1. I love the post card of "Shavings". My dad and his sister remember going there when little. Have you read the book by Joseph C. Lincoln named "Shavings"? It's supposedly based on his life. They were friends, and Joe L. is distantly related to my dad's family, although my grandmother and Joe were frequent visitors in each's home. Again, I love the picture! I'm a long time at genealogy, but brand new to computers, only 2 months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. I didn't know that Bearse's place was referred to as Shavings. And I haven't read that book by Lincoln; I will have to now! You're doing great on your introduction to computers if you are already finding and commenting on blogs! Chris

      Delete
  2. Hi again! I'm Debbie K. My email is auntiedubba@gmail.com
    I just found you again. There is a sign on the top of the "arch" in the forefront of the postcard, and it says "SHAVINGS". Ethan's father Thomas was a brother to my 2nd great-grandmother, Sallie Janet (
    (Bearse) Sears. She married John Gage Sears. Apparently, you and I are distant "cousins" because a lot of the surnames that you listed are in my lines too! Enough for now. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Debbie, I didn't notice the "Shavings" sign. Good eye! I read the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. Haven't read Lincoln in a while. Thanks for the recommendation. We must be related in multiple ways. Chris

      Delete

I'm now moderating comments on this blog. My apologies for any ensuing delays, but the large number of "spam" comments have made this necessary. ~Chris