Welcome! I really enjoy exchanging information with people and love that this blog helps with that. I consider much of my research as a work in progress, so please let me know if you have conflicting information. Some of the surnames I'm researching:

Many old Cape families including Kelley, Eldredge/idge, Howes, Baker, Mayo, Bangs, Snow, Chase, Ryder/Rider, Freeman, Cole, Sears, Wixon, Nickerson.
Many old Plymouth County families including Washburn, Bumpus, Lucas, Cobb, Benson.
Johnson (England to MA)
Corey (Correia?) (Azores to MA)
Booth, Jones, Taylor, Heatherington (N. Ireland to Quebec)
O'Connor (Ireland to MA)
My male Mayflower ancestors (only first two have been submitted/approved by the Mayflower Society):
Francis Cooke, William Brewster, George Soule, Isaac Allerton, John Billington, Richard Warren, Peter Browne, Francis Eaton, Samuel Fuller, James Chilton, John Tilley, Stephen Hopkins, and John Howland.
Female Mayflower ancestors: Mary Norris Allerton, Eleanor Billington, Mary Brewster, Mrs. James Chilton, Sarah Eaton, and Joan Hurst Tilley.
Child Mayflower ancestors: Giles Hopkins, (possibly) Constance Hopkins, Mary Allerton, Francis Billington, Love Brewster, Mary Chilton, Samuel Eaton, and Elizabeth Tilley.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Patrick O’Connor 1869-?? Ireland to Massachusetts

I’m jumping forward to the 19th/20th century to write about one of my mother’s relatives. Patrick O’Connor was born in March 1869 (according to a census record) or 1867 (marriage record) in Bantry, Cork Co., Ireland, the son of Peter O’Connor and Ellen Cronin. 
Bantry in County Cork (source: old-picture.com)
He was the brother to my great-grandmother Margaret O’Connor, who married Emanuel Corey in Boston in 1899.
Margaret O'Connor Corey

My grandmother Marie Corey Johnson rarely talked about the past. She thought by researching the family history I was looking for skeletons in the closet. She occasionally talked about her Aunt Mary, who never married and worked as a domestic in Massachusetts. Late in life Mary lived with Marie’s family in Medford, so my mother knew Mary as well. 
Mary O'Connor

No one ever mentioned a brother, so I was surprised when I saw his name listed in the household of Emanuel Corey in the 1900 Census, living in Boston. It said that Patrick was a boarder, born March 1869, age 31, single, he and parents all born Ireland, came to U.S. in 1892, living here 8 years, naturalized, a storekeeper.

I mentioned him to my mother and she said “Oh yes, I remember Mama talking about him. He stayed on the top floor of their house, but she didn’t say much about him. I wondered if there was something not right with him.” My grandmother kept some family photos, but none of Patrick. 

After some poking around, I found a marriage record for Patrick. He was married in Boston on 12 April 1903.  Patrick O'Connor, 36, first marriage, of 7 Wyman St., waiter, born Ireland, parents Peter O'Connor and Ellen Cronin, by Benjamin F. Teeling, Priest of  9 Whitmore St., to Catherine Kelley, 28, first marriage, 48 Carver Street, waitress, born Ireland, daughter of Peter Kelley and Ellen Glenn. Interesting their fathers and mothers shared the same first names. 

His age at marriage doesn’t match his age given on the 1900 census, but that’s nothing unusual. After his marriage, though, I’ve been unable to find anything further, such as births of children. Having a common name like Patrick O’Connor in Boston doesn’t make it any easier, and I haven’t found any later census records that seem like a strong possibility.

I would love to know where Patrick lived after his marriage, if they had children and where he died and is buried. I wonder if I’m missing something obvious. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm now moderating comments on this blog. My apologies for any ensuing delays, but the large number of "spam" comments have made this necessary. ~Chris