Welcome! I really enjoy exchanging information with people and love that this blog helps with that. I consider much of my research as a work in progress, so please let me know if you have conflicting information. Some of the surnames I'm researching:

Many old Cape families including Kelley, Eldredge/idge, Howes, Baker, Mayo, Bangs, Snow, Chase, Ryder/Rider, Freeman, Cole, Sears, Wixon, Nickerson.
Many old Plymouth County families including Washburn, Bumpus, Lucas, Cobb, Benson.
Johnson (England to MA)
Corey (Correia?) (Azores to MA)
Booth, Jones, Taylor, Heatherington (N. Ireland to Quebec)
O'Connor (Ireland to MA)
My male Mayflower ancestors (only first two have been submitted/approved by the Mayflower Society):
Francis Cooke, William Brewster, George Soule, Isaac Allerton, John Billington, Richard Warren, Peter Browne, Francis Eaton, Samuel Fuller, James Chilton, John Tilley, Stephen Hopkins, and John Howland.
Female Mayflower ancestors: Mary Norris Allerton, Eleanor Billington, Mary Brewster, Mrs. James Chilton, Sarah Eaton, and Joan Hurst Tilley.
Child Mayflower ancestors: Giles Hopkins, (possibly) Constance Hopkins, Mary Allerton, Francis Billington, Love Brewster, Mary Chilton, Samuel Eaton, and Elizabeth Tilley.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Emanuel Corey (ca 1869-1937) and Margaret O’Connor (ca 1868-1941)


My maternal Grandmother Marie (born Mary) Corey Johnson said her father, Emanuel Corey, was born in Austria and immigrated to Alsace-Lorraine, when it was part of France. His death record states he was born in Austria-Hungary, as were his parents John Corey and Rose Mederia (more likely Medeira or Medeiros). Marie’s birth 1906 birth record says he was born in France.

After researching the family, I found that he was actually born ca 1869 in Sao Miguel in the Azores. Marie didn’t like when I started the research, saying I was “looking for skeletons in the closet.” So, of course that only spurred me on! I’m not sure if she knew her father was Azorean or not, but I think she did.
Map of the Azores

My Mom said Emanuel had a dark complexion and that her mother had photographs of him. After my Grandmother passed away, there were no photographs of him in her albums, so perhaps she threw them away. The effort to conceal Emanuel’s origins seems so strange to me, but I didn’t live through a time when there was so much prejudice against immigrant groups. I’d imagine if the Irish faced such bigotry that it was even worse for someone considered Portuguese.

I have been unsuccessful in finding immigration and naturalization records for Emanuel, but I can only guess that his name was perhaps something closer to Manuel/Manoel Correia.
Furnas/Furnace Lake, Sao Miguel (source: archipelago.nu)

I have found a lot of conflicting information concerning his date of immigration. His death record (his son Frank is the informant) states he came to America 50 years, 5 months earlier, which calculates to July 1887 and he’d be about age 18. Some census records say he was naturalized, others say an alien or that his application was pending. They give him immigration years of 1886, 1891 and 1884. Ugh!

Emanuel and Margaret's marriage certificate: Married 11 January 1899, Boston, MA, Emmanuel Corey, of Boston, 30 years, white, first marriage, a baker, born St. Michael, Azores, son of John Corey and Rose Mederos. To Margaret M. O'Conner, of Boston, 27, white, first m., domestic, born Ireland, daughter of Peter O'Conner and Ellen Cronin.
Margaret O'Connor Corey

My grandmother said the Margaret was from Bantry, Cork Ireland, where they lived on the River Lee. She said she had a sister Mary who also came to Massachusetts but did not marry. Margaret and Mary were very close. She never talked about Margaret’s brother Patrick, but he is listed as living with his sister’s family in 1900. I found his April 1903 marriage record to Catherine Kelley in Boston, but after that lose track of him. At his marriage he was age 36 (conflicts with age on 1900 census) and it was his first marriage and he was working as a waiter. Catherine was 28, also born Ireland and also with parents named Peter and Ellen. I don’t find any birth records of children for them in Massachusetts and don’t find them in the 1910 census either.

1900 Census, Armstrong Street, Boston, MA: Emanuel is listed with two other families at the address so probably a triple decker. Mix on street of American born, Irish born and German born people, plus a few from Denmark, Sweden and Canada. Emanuel was the only one from Portugal. Emanuel Corey, born April 1870, age 30, married one year, born Portugal as were his parents, immigrated in 1886, in U.S. 14 years, Naturalized, a Baker, can read and write, speaks English, rents. Wife Margaret, born December 1861, age 28 (sic, age doesn't match year of birth written down), married one year, no children, she and parents born Ireland, came to US in 1889, 11 years ago, does not indicate if naturalized, can read, write, speak English. Patrick O'Connor, boarder, white male, born March 1869, age 31, single, he and parents all born Ireland, came to U.S. in 1892, living here 8 years, naturalized, a storekeeper, can read, write, speak English. (Note: Patrick would be Margaret's brother.)

In the 1910 Census, Lauriat Avenue, Boston: Manuel E. Corey, head, age 42, first marriage, married 11 years, he and parents born Germany, immigrated 1884, alien, baker, own shop, rents home. Margaret Corey, wife, age 41, first m., m. 11 years, birth to 2 children/2 living, she and parents born Ireland, immigrated 1892. Francis, son, age 7, born MA. Mary M., daughter, age 4, born MA. Most people on the street were born Massachusetts, with some Norwegians, Swedes and Canadians. Emanuel was the only one indicating German birth.
Lauriat Ave., Dorchester Home where the Corey's lived (taken 2002)

1920 Census, 6 Dillingham Street, Dorchester: Emanuel Corey, head, male, white, age 46, married, immigrated to US 1884, naturalization pending, can read and write, born Alsace Lorraine, French mother tongue, mother born there also, French her mother tongue, ditto for father, can speak English, Baker, wage worker, rents home. Margaret M., wife, female, white, age 44, married, immigrated 1895, can read and write, born Ireland, English mother tongue, ditto for her parents, can speak English, no occupation.
Mary M., daughter, female, white, 13, can read, write, is in school, born Mass. Francis J., son, male, white, 16, single, can read and write, a conductor of a street car, wage worker.

It seems as time went on Emanuel’s story continually changed about his origins. I feel more confident in his marriage record being correct as opposed to a census record or death record. One genealogist who specializes in the Azores told me it would be very unusual for someone from there to immigrate to Austria. It is necessary to have the village of origin in Sao Miguel to get more information, which I have been unable to find.

My grandmother said her father provided well for his family, owning a bakery and taking the family on a yearly summer vacation to Nantasket Beach.
Building on corner of Woodrow Ave., Dorchester that housed Emanuel's bakery in better days

Emanuel died very suddenly of a heart attack on 4 December 1937 at age 68. My grandmother said she had just dropped him off on Broadway Street, Everett, for an appointment. He was living at 555 Lynn Street, Malden.

Margaret lived with her daughter Marie at times after Emanuel’s death. She became nearly blind as she aged. She became very dependent on her German Shepherd dog, Eric. My grandmother said she was a very quiet person and when she was a child some of her happiest memories where when her father would go to town and come back with a book for her. Of the children, she was the most serious about her studies.

Margaret died at Malden Hospital of meningitis on 20 January 1941, at age 73. My grandmother said Margaret often fibbed about her age. Her marriage record gives her a ca 1872 birth, a census states a birth year of 1869 and age at death on death certificate would give birth of 1868.

Emanuel and Margaret are buried at the North Cambridge Cemetery on Rindge Avenue, a Catholic burial ground.

5 comments:

  1. The building shown on Woodrow Ave in which your great-grandfather, Emanuel, had his bakery was bought by my grandparents, Harry and Etta Gershlak and reopened as "Harry's Variety" grocery store. I'm sorry I don't know the dates, but they owned it until the early 60's. We lived in a two story (double-decker) next door (107 and 109 Woodrow Ave). I visited and photographed in late 70's/early 80's and the house was still standing, but the 2nd story was boarded up and had obvious fire damage. I guess it finally burnt to the ground in the ensuing years. At the time I photographed the structures, the grocery store had a sign that said "Rocky's Variety", but most everything was boarded or bricked up against crime and vandalism.
    I would be happy to provide those photos as well as earlier photos in which the store was a thriving business if you would like.
    marnold52@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris! I have a mysterious Correia that has appeared on my tree as well, from Azores to MA. I don't recognize the names in your essay, but maybe my little bit of info can help (this is a very sticky part of my tree and my info is incomplete): Mrs Jennie Correa (nee Hogan) is named in the obit of Mrs Ellen McCarthy, her sister. Jennies other sister, Hannah/Honorah is married to Mr Joseph Martin, of the Azores. The Martins are my great, great , great grandparents. I do not know Jennies husbands name, however I have found record of a Mr Domingo Correia living with her brother in law Mr Martin, at 3 Lewis Street Boston. Mr Martin ran a boarding house at this location for a few decades. I can only presume this is Jennies husband, or maybe a brother in law. Anyways, thats all I have! The Hogans are from Ireland, and have been a mystery :) seraphinekelley@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Seraphine! My apologies for never responding to this; Blogger hasn't been consistently notifying me of comments left here. Interesting you had an Irish ancestor marrying one from the Azores as well; especially with the name Correa. I have made zero progress on Emanuel!

      Delete
  3. Hi Chris! I'm also Chris. I live in Massachusetts and I'm fascinated with your work. I come from a long line of Correia (yes, this is the correct spelling) on my mother's side. They're all from Sao Miguel, Azcores, Portugal.

    Thank you for all of your hard work and info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, Thanks for your comment. How interesting your Correia family is from Sao Miguel also. I wonder if we're distantly related?! Chris

      Delete

I'm now moderating comments on this blog. My apologies for any ensuing delays, but the large number of "spam" comments have made this necessary. ~Chris