Welcome! I really enjoy exchanging information with people and love that this blog helps with that. I consider much of my research as a work in progress, so please let me know if you have conflicting information. Some of the surnames I'm researching:

Many old Cape families including Kelley, Eldredge/idge, Howes, Baker, Mayo, Bangs, Snow, Chase, Ryder/Rider, Freeman, Cole, Sears, Wixon, Nickerson.
Many old Plymouth County families including Washburn, Bumpus, Lucas, Cobb, Benson.
Johnson (England to MA)
Corey (Correia?) (Azores to MA)
Booth, Jones, Taylor, Heatherington (N. Ireland to Quebec)
O'Connor (Ireland to MA)
My male Mayflower ancestors (only first two have been submitted/approved by the Mayflower Society):
Francis Cooke, William Brewster, George Soule, Isaac Allerton, John Billington, Richard Warren, Peter Browne, Francis Eaton, Samuel Fuller, James Chilton, John Tilley, Stephen Hopkins, and John Howland.
Female Mayflower ancestors: Mary Norris Allerton, Eleanor Billington, Mary Brewster, Mrs. James Chilton, Sarah Eaton, and Joan Hurst Tilley.
Child Mayflower ancestors: Giles Hopkins, (possibly) Constance Hopkins, Mary Allerton, Francis Billington, Love Brewster, Mary Chilton, Samuel Eaton, and Elizabeth Tilley.

Sunday, February 21, 2021

Samuel Berry 1691-1741 and Rebecca Gray (ca 1691), of Yarmouth and Harwich, Massachusetts

 

Samuel Berry was born November 1691 at Yarmouth, Barnstable, Massachusetts, the son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Bell) Berry. His birth is recorded in Yarmouth Vital Records, as son of Samuell and Elesa(worn) “Beery.” When Samuel was a young boy, his family moved to Harwich where they were among the first white settlers. They lived on the north side of Herring River in North Harwich. I wrote about Samuel and Elizabeth here.

Herring River, N. Harwich
Herring River, N. Harwich

Samuel married Rebecca Gray on 16 October 1712 at Harwich. They lived in the Harwich house where Samuel grew up, according to Josiah Paine.

Rebecca was born Harwich about 1691, the daughter of William and Rebecca (Dillingham) Gray.  Her birth isn’t recorded, but her parentage is shown in her father’s 22 May 1723 will which names her as Rebecca, wife of Samuel Berry. I haven’t seen the will myself. Samuel and Rebecca are my 7th great-grandparents on my grandmother Milly (Booth) Rollins’ side of the family.

Rebecca and Samuel had just one known child, which was unusual at the time. Their daughter, Thankful Berry, married, first, Rev. Richard Chase and, second, John Chase. I wrote about Thankful and Richard here.

I have read that Rebecca Gray Berry died before 12 August 1721, but without a source. Paine has Samuel’s death as 1741 at Harwich, but again not sourced.  

As you can see, I have found very little information on this couple, mostly because of scarce records in the early days of Harwich. I’d love to hear from anyone who has more information.

Sources:

 Josiah Paine, History of Harwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts, 1620-1800, 1937

 CW Swift, The Yarmouth Family of Gray, Cape Cod Library of History and Genealogy, No 58, 1913

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm now moderating comments on this blog. My apologies for any ensuing delays, but the large number of "spam" comments have made this necessary. ~Chris