Welcome! I really enjoy exchanging information with people and love that this blog helps with that. I consider much of my research as a work in progress, so please let me know if you have conflicting information. Some of the surnames I'm researching:

Many old Cape families including Kelley, Eldredge/idge, Howes, Baker, Mayo, Bangs, Snow, Chase, Ryder/Rider, Freeman, Cole, Sears, Wixon, Nickerson.
Many old Plymouth County families including Washburn, Bumpus, Lucas, Cobb, Benson.
Johnson (England to MA)
Corey (Correia?) (Azores to MA)
Booth, Jones, Taylor, Heatherington (N. Ireland to Quebec)
O'Connor (Ireland to MA)
My male Mayflower ancestors (only first two have been submitted/approved by the Mayflower Society):
Francis Cooke, William Brewster, George Soule, Isaac Allerton, John Billington, Richard Warren, Peter Browne, Francis Eaton, Samuel Fuller, James Chilton, John Tilley, Stephen Hopkins, and John Howland.
Female Mayflower ancestors: Mary Norris Allerton, Eleanor Billington, Mary Brewster, Mrs. James Chilton, Sarah Eaton, and Joan Hurst Tilley.
Child Mayflower ancestors: Giles Hopkins, (possibly) Constance Hopkins, Mary Allerton, Francis Billington, Love Brewster, Mary Chilton, Samuel Eaton, and Elizabeth Tilley.

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

William Nelson (died 1679) and Martha (Ford) Nelson (died 1683) of Plymouth Colony



William Nelson is my 10th great-grandfather on my grandfather Arthur Washburn Davis’s side of the family. He was of Plymouth as early as 1636 since in March 1637 he was hired to keep the cows for the year, at the same wages he had been paid the previous year (Records of Town of Plymouth 1:3). Some family history folks have him born Barton-upon-Humber, North Lincolnshire, 21 June 1615, but I haven’t seen the source for this information and it isn’t included in any of the published sources I have seen.

William married Martha Ford on 29 October 1640 in Plymouth (Plymouth VR 1:153). Martha was born about 1620 (based on age at death), the daughter of “Widow Ford.”  She came to Plymouth on the Fortune in 1621. Her father’s first name is not known but it I believe he would have come on the Fortune with his family and died on the voyage or soon afterward. It seems unlikely that a very pregnant woman (she gave birth to a son the day after she landed at Plymouth) would have made the voyage alone.

Martha and William’s children, born Plymouth, only Jane’s birth was recorded but all named in will:
Martha b. ca 1641, married John Cobb
John b. ca 1643, m. 1st Sarah Wood, 2nd, Lydia (Barnaby) Bartlett, 3rd Patience Morton
William b. ca 1645, m. Ruth Foxwell
Jane b. 28 February 1650, m. Thomas Faunce

I descend from Martha. I wrote about Martha and John Cobb here.

On 3 August 1640, William Nelson was granted six acres of upland at Plymouth (PCR 1:159).

William was on the Plymouth 1643 list of Men (age 16 to 60) Able to Bear Arms.

William was on the list of Plymouth freemen in 1658 but in 1670 he was one of just six freemen at Middleboro (although the latter could be his son William).

He was also on the 1662 Plymouth list of “first born children” because of his marriage to Martha Ford. I believe this list was of any needy child or parent of a child who were in Plymouth by 1627 but not certain.

On 3 June 1662 the Plymouth Colony Court granted William Nelson, by right of his wife “one of the first born children,” land at what is now Middleborough, Massachusetts (PCR 8:19). This seems to indicate she was born in Plymouth but her age at death and that Edward Winslow writes her mother gave birth to a baby boy in 1621 cast doubt on that theory. In Plymouth Colony Deeds (III:21), he received the twenty third lot in a land division.

On the second Tuesday of September 1668, "The Towne have (with the consent of John Everson) disposed of Richard Everson his son unto William Nelson senr of Plymouth to be and Remaine with him until he hath attained the age of one and twenty yeares hee being att the date hereof about two yeares old." (Records of the Town of Plymouth, 3 volumes, 1:105.) John Everson was a transient who was warned out of town a few months after giving up his son, but was he still in town six months later. He put out two additional children to local families.

William Nelson Sr of the town of New Plymouth in the Colony of New Plymouth wrote his will 31 October 1679. He names his wife Martha Nelson, sons John and William Nelson, daughters Martha Cobb and Jane Faunce (Plymouth Colony Wills 4;2;74).

William died between 31 October 1679 (when he wrote his will) and 15 Dec 1679 (date of inventory).

Martha Ford Nelson died at Plymouth 10 December 1683 in her 64th year (PChR 1:250).

There is an inventory for Martha Nelson’s estate, 7 March 1683/84, Plymouth Colony Wills 4(2):74, with John Nelson as executor. She left housing, upland, four acres of meadow, one acre of meadow at Doty’s Meadow, one acre of meadow on the northwest side of Cedar Swamp, four acres of meadow up Jones River. Her estate also contained two cows, one heifer, two calves, 13 sheep, one mare, two pigs, various tools, crops, household and personal items including a Bible and a Psalm book. The inventory totaled 98 pounds, 8 pence.

I have only seen partial transcriptions of William and Martha’s probate records. Seeing the originals is on my list of things to do.



Sources:
William T. Davis, Genealogical Register of Plymouth Families, 1899 

Thomas Weston, History of the Town of Middleboro, Massachusetts, 1906

Robert Wakefield, Men of the "Fortune,” The American Genealogist, 1980


10 comments:

  1. Thank you for researching and writing up all of this! William and Martha are my 9th great-grandparents (Sarah is my 8th ggm.) I also saw your post about Henry Cobb. He and Sarah Hinckley are also my 9th great-grandparents. (I think so many of us must have multiple common ancesters. I just recently found that my parents are 10th cousins through their NE settler lineage.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, Thank you for your kind comment. Families sure were cozy back then! My grandparents had no idea they were 7th cousins. Chris

      Delete
  2. Very interesting! I too descend from their daughter Martha and John Cobb. I have on my Ancestry Tree an Arrival record for "William Nelson" in 1621 to Plymouth. That would only be the "Fortune" correct? He's not on any passenger list I can find for the ship. If the 1615 birth year is correct that means he traveled at 6 years old. I also have a Millennium File record showing his birth year of 1602. Wish I knew what was accurate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I personally don't believe William Nelson was on the Fortune in 1621. I think the confusion comes from his being mentioned in an 1980 article in The American Genealogist entitled "Men of the Fortune: Ford" by Robert Wakefield. He is mentioned because he is the father of his wife Martha Ford's children. This same article mentions he was in Plymouth as early as 1636. Umfortunately I don't know about his birth date. Chris

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. Chris, I too am curious about which ship William may have arrived. I am William’s 9th great grandson, John Nelson. Perhaps the Handmaiden or the Lyon? Would you know the probability of either? I thought I read somewhere that he arrived at 18 years of age and unaccompanied (I don’t recall the source). That would make the timeframe around 1632/1633. if that source is correct, the list of ships are few. Best, John

      Delete
    4. Chris, thank you for your research! I too am curious about which ship William may have arrived. I am William’s 9th great grandson, John Nelson. Perhaps the Handmaiden or the Lyon? Would you know the probability of either? I thought I read somewhere that he arrived at 18 years of age and unaccompanied (I don’t recall the source). That would make the timeframe around 1632/1633. if that source is correct, the list of ships are few. Best, John

      Delete
    5. Hi John, How great to have such a long line of the Nelson surname. I don't have any information that would lead me to making an informed guess on which ship he may have been on. I only know he was in Plymouth by 1636 so that doesn't provide many clues. Frustrating, I know! Chris

      Delete
    6. This is so funny, but I stumbled on the site, and I believe I found my first cousin John commenting above. I am Jacob Nelson, and according to Representative Men and Old Families of Southeastern Massachusetts, William was said to have arrived on the Handmaid or Handmaiden. Much of the ship's passenger list was lost, and this would make sense. I have a semblance of a tree on ancestry, which I cannot verify, that states his father was William Nelson, c. 1589 - 1638, and going back to Ricardus Nelleson, c. 1398 - 1479. Being Nelsons from Yorkshire and adjacent region, as noted in Descendants of John Nelson, Sr., it might be postulated that we come from the Angles of Schleswig, Denmark, that settled the area. The aforementioned work also details our coat of arms, an earlier creation and separate from the more commonly found Viscount Nelson coat of arms. The Lord Admiral was probably inspired by the original motto, palman qui meruit ferat.

      Delete
    7. Thanks for commenting, Jacob. That would be such a great find if that line can be verified!

      Delete

I'm now moderating comments on this blog. My apologies for any ensuing delays, but the large number of "spam" comments have made this necessary. ~Chris