Welcome! I really enjoy exchanging information with people and love that this blog helps with that. I consider much of my research as a work in progress, so please let me know if you have conflicting information. Some of the surnames I'm researching:

Many old Cape families including Kelley, Eldredge/idge, Howes, Baker, Mayo, Bangs, Snow, Chase, Ryder/Rider, Freeman, Cole, Sears, Wixon, Nickerson.
Many old Plymouth County families including Washburn, Bumpus, Lucas, Cobb, Benson.
Johnson (England to MA)
Corey (Correia?) (Azores to MA)
Booth, Jones, Taylor, Heatherington (N. Ireland to Quebec)
O'Connor (Ireland to MA)
My male Mayflower ancestors (only first two have been submitted/approved by the Mayflower Society):
Francis Cooke, William Brewster, George Soule, Isaac Allerton, John Billington, Richard Warren, Peter Browne, Francis Eaton, Samuel Fuller, James Chilton, John Tilley, Stephen Hopkins, and John Howland.
Female Mayflower ancestors: Mary Norris Allerton, Eleanor Billington, Mary Brewster, Mrs. James Chilton, Sarah Eaton, and Joan Hurst Tilley.
Child Mayflower ancestors: Giles Hopkins, (possibly) Constance Hopkins, Mary Allerton, Francis Billington, Love Brewster, Mary Chilton, Samuel Eaton, and Elizabeth Tilley.

Sunday, February 7, 2016

John Butler born ca 1651 and Priscilla Norton of Edgartown, Martha’s Vineyard

John Butler was born about 1651 in Dorchester, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts. He was baptized on 6 July 1651 at Dorchester, the son of John Butler and Mary Lynde. His parents moved to Edgartown on Martha’s Vineyard when John was a baby. John is my 8th great-grandfather on my grandmother Milly (Booth) Rollins side. I haven’t done much research on this couple as of yet.

John Butler was called Gentleman and Captain in records. He was a leading citizen in the town and served as coroner for the county. In 1691 he was sergeant of the Militia and in 1692 was Constable. In a letter (I don’t find a date on the transcription) written to Governor of Mass Bay by Simon Athern about the boundaries of Martha’s Vineyard and towns within, he also discusses Militia Officers and suggests the best fit is Mr. John Butler as Captain of the Edgartown Militia. Clearly John was a leader in the community.

John married, in Edgartown about 1671, Priscilla Norton, who was born about 1655, the daughter of Nicholas and Elizabeth Norton of Edgartown. They lived on Great Neck.


John and Priscilla had 12 children: Henry, John, Thomas, Nicholas, Joyce, Samuel, Onesimus, Simeon, Zephaniah, Malachi, Priscilla, and Gamaliel. I descend from Priscilla who married Thomas Snow.

John Butler died between 1733 and 1738. His will was dated 10 November 1733, proved 3 October 1738, so he was at least 80 years of age at the time of his death. I have not yet seen his will. If anyone has a transcription they are willing to share, please let me know.


Sources Not Listed Above:

Charles Banks, History of Martha Vineyard Vol. II, III, 1911

William Richard Cutler, Genealogical and Personal Memoirs: Relating to the Families of Boston and Eastern Massachusetts, 1908

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did want to mention Chris, that Nicholas Norton is in my family tree, and would be my 8th great grandfather, and his 7th child, Nicholas Jr. was the first Norton in the family to settle in America. So who knows, we could somewhere down the line have a connection. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are related through our Norton ancestors. I descend from Nicholas' daughters Priscilla as well as Elizabeth. Chris

      Delete

I'm now moderating comments on this blog. My apologies for any ensuing delays, but the large number of "spam" comments have made this necessary. ~Chris