Welcome! I really enjoy exchanging information with people and love that this blog helps with that. I consider much of my research as a work in progress, so please let me know if you have conflicting information. Some of the surnames I'm researching:

Many old Cape families including Kelley, Eldredge/idge, Howes, Baker, Mayo, Bangs, Snow, Chase, Ryder/Rider, Freeman, Cole, Sears, Wixon, Nickerson.
Many old Plymouth County families including Washburn, Bumpus, Lucas, Cobb, Benson.
Johnson (England to MA)
Corey (Correia?) (Azores to MA)
Booth, Jones, Taylor, Heatherington (N. Ireland to Quebec)
O'Connor (Ireland to MA)
My male Mayflower ancestors (only first two have been submitted/approved by the Mayflower Society):
Francis Cooke, William Brewster, George Soule, Isaac Allerton, John Billington, Richard Warren, Peter Browne, Francis Eaton, Samuel Fuller, James Chilton, John Tilley, Stephen Hopkins, and John Howland.
Female Mayflower ancestors: Mary Norris Allerton, Eleanor Billington, Mary Brewster, Mrs. James Chilton, Sarah Eaton, and Joan Hurst Tilley.
Child Mayflower ancestors: Giles Hopkins, (possibly) Constance Hopkins, Mary Allerton, Francis Billington, Love Brewster, Mary Chilton, Samuel Eaton, and Elizabeth Tilley.

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Eleazer Kelley (1697-1775) and Sarah Browning (1694-?), Yarmouth, Mass.



 Eleazer Kelley, my sixth great-grandfather, was born in Yarmouth (now Dennis), Mass., on 5 March 1696/97, the son of Jeremiah and Sarah (Chase?) Kelley. I wrote about Jeremiah here. Eleazer is spelled in a variety of ways including Eliezer and Eleaser. Kelley is seen spelled as Killey, O’Kelley, O’Killey, O’Kelia and O’Celley.

Eleazer married on 6 October 1721 in North Kingstown, Rhode Island, Sarah Browning. Sarah was born April 1694, probably in North Kingstown, RI, the daughter of William and Sarah (Wilbore) Browning. North Kingstown was the home to early Quakers.
North Kingstown, RI

Eleazer and Sarah had four children (first two recorded Yarmouth VR; rest named in father’s will):

Patrick, born 20 February 1722/23; married Bethia Baker and Betsey Nickerson
Eleazer, born 1 November 1728; married Hannah Baker
Sarah, born 1730; m. Abner Crowell who served in the Rev War and died a prisoner of war
Benjamin, born about 1735; m. Susannah Davis
I descend through Eleazer as well as Patrick (and his first wife Bethia).

Sarah died before 20 August 1748, when Eleazer’s intentions to marry Phebe Baker were recorded at Yarmouth. He and Phebe were married on 8 September 1748.

Eleazer and Phebe had one child, Phebe, born about 1749 who married Ebenezer Chase.

I don't know exactly where Eleazer's homestead was located, but since his father owned a large amount of current day West Dennis, I would think Eleazer lived there. His will mentioned woodland near Bass River as well as pond rights. He may have been referring to Kelley's Pond in West Dennis. Something I need to investigate further.  
A beautiful old postcard showing Kelley's Pond
Old snapshot of Bass River


Eleazer died 5 October 1775 at Yarmouth (now Dennis), Mass. In his death record, he is listed as “Frend,” referring to his being a member of the Society of Friends (aka Quaker). I don't know where Eleazer and his wives were buried, but perhaps they are interred at the Quaker Cemetery on Mayfair Road in Dennis where there are very few gravestones.
Quaker Cemetery


“Eleaser Okilly” of Yarmouth wrote his will on 4 July 1775.  Misspellings and grammatical mistakes as per original: "Debts & funeral charges to be paid out of money and not land. To wife, Phebe: east most room in my house and pond rights as long as she remain my widow, all indoor moveables given to her by her father for her to have forever, following household moveables while she remain my widow; twelve bushels Indian corn, four of rye, four gallons malasses, eight cord wood fit for fireing, red spotted cow, half of my swine, my best iron pot, iron pudding glass, tea kettle, two pewter spoons, two forks, two knives, frying pan. To son, Paddrick: two silver spoons, six shillings. To son, Eleaser, six shillings. To son, Benjamin: twelve acres of woodland that adjoins to his wood land on the West side of Bass River so called, two silver spoons, six shillings. To daughter, Sarah Crowel: half of my indoor moveables not before disposed of excepting one bed for my grandson Browning that he lodges on now, six shillings. To daughter, Phebe Chase: remainder of indoor moveables, one cow, three pounds, if my wife takes up with what I gave her in lieu of her thirds, if wife refused, then my daughter Sarah Crowell shall have the whole of my daughter Phebe Chase's portion except six shillings. To grandson, Eleaser Killey: half my farm where I now dwell with half buildings on the same, the true meaning is that he is to have half of all buildings, woodland, cleared land, meadow, swamp, swampy ground, which has not been previously disposed of, my house, all my wearing apparell, great Bible, walking cane, two silver spoons, as to the real estate I give to my grandson Eleaser Killey to improve during his lifetime and after his decease my will is that his eldest living son may have the real estate during his life to improve, then to his heirs forever. To grandson, Browning Killey: the other half of my farm whereon I now dwell and half of all buildings on the same, half of all buildings, woodland, cleared land, meadow, swamp, swampy ground, which has not been previously disposed of, half swine, privilege of lodging on one bed so long as he is single, as to the real estate I give to my grandson Browning Killey to improve during his lifetime and after his decease my will is that his eldest living son may have the real estate during his life to improve, then to his heirs forever. If either of my two grandsons, namely, Eleaser & Browning decease without heirs then his part according to my will must return to his living brother; both grandsons to provide for my wife so long as she remain my widow. To son-in-law, Abner Crowel's children, namely: Abner Crowell, Silvanus Crowell, Heman Crowell, Eleaser Crowell, Judah Crowel & Sarah Crowel, 7 pounds:1:6, to be equally divided between them." Executor was to be Benjamin Killy. Witnesses were Hattil Killy, Edward Crowel Jr, and Michael Crowel. The will was proved 6 Dec 1775 (Barnst Co. Probate 17:309-12). The inventory was taken by Timothy Baker, Judah Baker and David Killey Jur, and recorded 8 Dec 1775, totaling 354:19:5 (same as above, p 326).
 

Sources Not Listed Above:

R. Dudley Kelley, David O’Killea of Yarmouth, Massachusetts and some of his Descendants, NEGHR April 1997
Edward Franklin Browning, Genealogy of the Brownings in America from 1621 to 1908, 1908


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm now moderating comments on this blog. My apologies for any ensuing delays, but the large number of "spam" comments have made this necessary. ~Chris