Welcome! I really enjoy exchanging information with people and love that this blog helps with that. I consider much of my research as a work in progress, so please let me know if you have conflicting information. Some of the surnames I'm researching:

Many old Cape families including Kelley, Eldredge/idge, Howes, Baker, Mayo, Bangs, Snow, Chase, Ryder/Rider, Freeman, Cole, Sears, Wixon, Nickerson.
Many old Plymouth County families including Washburn, Bumpus, Lucas, Cobb, Benson.
Johnson (England to MA)
Corey (Correia?) (Azores to MA)
Booth, Jones, Taylor, Heatherington (N. Ireland to Quebec)
O'Connor (Ireland to MA)
My male Mayflower ancestors (only first two have been submitted/approved by the Mayflower Society):
Francis Cooke, William Brewster, George Soule, Isaac Allerton, John Billington, Richard Warren, Peter Browne, Francis Eaton, Samuel Fuller, James Chilton, John Tilley, Stephen Hopkins, and John Howland.
Female Mayflower ancestors: Mary Norris Allerton, Eleanor Billington, Mary Brewster, Mrs. James Chilton, Sarah Eaton, and Joan Hurst Tilley.
Child Mayflower ancestors: Giles Hopkins, (possibly) Constance Hopkins, Mary Allerton, Francis Billington, Love Brewster, Mary Chilton, Samuel Eaton, and Elizabeth Tilley.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Olive May Kelley 1877-1889, West Dennis, MA


This is my last entry of the year 2011 and the last one on the 11 children of David Howes Kelley and his three wives, Lucina Doane Ellis, Mary E. Chase, and Mary Ann Kelley. It took much longer than anticipated, but helped me discover new bits and missing information as well. I'm incredibly drawn to the Kelley family, so any work I do on them is always a treat. Thank you to anyone who has taken the time to read my blog this year and especially those that have left encouraging comments and sent emails to exchange family information. When I started this blog in July, I went gang busters posting nearly every day, but that quickly slowed down as work, family and life also vies for my time and attention. My goal for 2012 is to keep a more steady (and realistic) pace of two posts a week. Happy New Year, everyone!

Mary Ann, Harry, David, Robby and Ethel Kelley in their Ferry Street yard
 

Olive May Kelley was the only child born to David Howes Kelley and his second wife, Mary E. Chase. She was born 20 August 1877. She had two half-siblings--Roland, who was nine when Olive was born, and Lila, who was seven.

On 30 March 1879, when Olive May was 17 months old, her mother died of consumption.

In December 1881, Olive’s father married again, to Mary Ann Kelley.

Olive May died  in West Dennis on 28 January 1889, of purulent otitis, which from what I’ve read is a viral or bacterial ear infection caused by the malfunction of the Eustachian tube. Olive was just 11 years of age. She was buried at West Dennis Cemetery, but the engraving on several small stones at the family plot is now illegible.

Her death record says her mother was Mary A. Kelley, but she was Mary E. Chase. There’s been some confusion because of David marrying two women named Mary, but the marriage dates help sort out the children. Unfortunately I do not have any family photographs that identify Olive.


1 comment:

I'm now moderating comments on this blog. My apologies for any ensuing delays, but the large number of "spam" comments have made this necessary. ~Chris