Joseph Covell and Hannah Bassett are one of those couples that I’m really lacking concrete information. Vital records were scarce in Chatham at this time. I have seen a lot of conflicting information and most of my sources are quite old, so would love to hear from anyone with more solid information!
Joseph is my ninth great-grandfather on my grandmother Milly (Booth) Rollins’ side of the family. Joseph was of Chatham, Mass. He was born about 1675, the son of Nathaniel and Sarah (Nickerson) Covell. Sarah was the daughter of William Nickerson, who founded the town of Chatham.
Joseph married, first, about 1700, Lydia Stewart/Stuard, daughter of Ensign Hugh Stewart of Chatham. Lydia died not long after the marriage, but they did have a daughter together:
1. Lydia born 12 July 1701 (Chatham VR); married Thomas Nickerson Jr. 16 May 1716
Joseph married, second, Hannah Bassett, 1 March 1703/4. They were married by Jonathan Sparrow Esquire (also an ancestor of mine). The record was published in Eastham Vital Records, Joseph being called of Monomoy (an early name of Chatham).
Hannah was the daughter of Nathaniel and Mary (Joyce) Bassett of Yarmouth. I wrote about Nathaniel and Mary here. Although her birth is not recorded, Hannah is called Hannah Covell in her father’s 1709/10 will.
A Hannah Covell married Asa Mayo in Eastham on 23 July 1756. I would guess it was her daughter-in-law of the same name.
Joseph and Hannah’s farm was on the east side of Muddy Cove. It was part of the original William Nickerson farm.
|Muddy Creek Painting|
There is no record of Joseph and Hannah’s deaths, children and no settlement of Joseph’s estate. He was living as late as 1732 (according to ML Luce papers) but does not appear in the tax list of 1755.
Hannah and Joseph’s children, order uncertain:
2. Sarah, m. about 1723 William “Red Stockings” Nickerson, son of William (Osborn Nickerson papers)
3. James, m. first Mehitable Nickerson daughter of Samuel of Harwich on 4 August 1727 (Harwich VR). She died 26 Nov 1761 and he married Ruth (Crowell) Kelley, widow of Amos Kelley of Yarmouth
4. Nathaniel, m. Mary Chase, daughter of Isaac of Yarmouth, intentions 20 July 1740 (Yarmouth VR)
5. Joseph, m. Hannah Bassett daughter of Nathan and died not long after marriage, leaving a daughter Hannah
6. Possibly a daughter Constant who m. Ebenezer Nickerson, son of Thomas
7. Possibly a daughter Dorcas who m. James Nickerson, son of William.
That Joseph and Hannah had a son Joseph who married his first cousin Hannah Bassett makes for a lot of confusion! I descend from Joseph and Hannah’s daughter Sarah who married William Nickerson.
Sources Not Listed Above:
William C. Smith, Pamphlet No. 36 of the Library of Cape Cod Hist and Gen, "Early Chatham Settlers,” 1915
Amos Otis, Genealogical Notes of Barnstable Families, being a reprint of the Amos Otis Papers, originally published in the Barnstable Patriot, revised by CF Swift, Volume 1 and 2, Barnstable, MA, The Patriot Press, 1888